I am interested to know whether the panelists consider themselves to be contented souls. I am currently searching (as methodically as possible) for a context for my life within, well, "everything" and wondered whether there is a consensus on how long this process is likely to take. I am rapidly realizing that there is no answer yet to some of the biggest questions; so maybe I need to home in on the right questions. I'm sure this is a fairly well trodden path - are there some short cuts or is "the journey" itself a component of "the destination"?

I doubt that professi0nal philosophers are on average more contented that every other group, though many of us do feel extremely lucky to be paid to engage in such a stimulating and satisfying activity. But our contentment does not derive from having chosen problems that we find easy to answer!

Read another response by Peter Lipton
Read another response about Value