It is said that good art communicates things. Music, though, doesn't appear to communicate anything beyond vague aesthetic-emotional sensations (if we ignore experimental music that communicates about itself by, for example, playing Beethoven's 9th using only objects taken from a lower-class family home). Yet people also say of music that it is a "universal language". I'm not a musical expert, though, so I'm not clear on all this. Does music communicate anything beyond sensations/emotions? What can it communicate? How does that communication take place?

I see no reason to think of communication as consisting solely of the transfer of information and concepts. Communicating emotions is by no means trivial. Philosophers such as Kierkegaard would also contend that emotions contain cognitive content as well.

Read another response by Gordon Marino
Read another response about Music